*Please contact Gwen Arcangelo at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to sign up to take our examination remotely.
One important requirement of the NBTA certification process is passing a written examination in the area of certification. The purpose of the examination is to test your proficiency, knowledge, and experience in trial law.
However, there may be some situations in which you qualify for an exam waiver. If your state/applicable organization tests those same attributes, NBTA may recognize the examinations in lieu of taking its examination. See below for those states/organizations that qualify.
- AAML Fellows
- Arizona – Civil & Criminal Applicants
- Florida – Civil, Criminal and Family Applicants
- Minnesota – Civil Applicants
- New Jersey – Civil*, Criminal* and Family* Applicants
- New Mexico – Civil Applicants
- Texas – Civil** & Criminal Applicants
*In addition to taking New Jersey’s Examination, NBTA’s NJ applicants must also take the Ethics section of the NBTA Examination.
**NBTA currently recognizes both the Texas (TBLS) Personal Injury Trial Law Examination and the Civil Trial Law Examination toward its civil certification.
To obtain a waiver from the NBTA examination requirement, please contact the executive director from the state agency or organization by which you are certified and acquire a letter on official stationary that confirms the following:
- You have taken and passed the state or organization certification examination
- You are currently certified, have continuously maintained your certification, and are in good standing with that agency
Please send to:
National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA)
850 Franklin Street, Suite 8
Wrentham, Massachusetts 02093
*Florida applicants: If you are contemplating applying for NBTA board certification in civil trial advocacy, criminal trial advocacy or family law advocacy and you are a member of the Florida Bar, please DO NOT APPLY unless you are already board certified by the Florida Bar in a similar specialty area. If you are interested in applying for certification with the Florida Bar, please contact them at 850.561.5850.